Changing realities continually reshape the building industry. Competitive
pressures and economic constraints demand that knowledge of key trends and solid practices be applied to all aspects of construction.
Whether a new building or restoration, the success of every enterprise, large or small, depends on carefully managed attention
The flooring system is a major cost element in any construction or restoration project. Floors are more complex
than they appear. As part of the developer's due diligence in value engineering it's essential to analyze the design and specifications
of flooring systems before work begins. Troubles after the fact can be economically disastrous. Flooring problems look unsightly
may affect proper equipment functioning, and compromise the integrity of an entire structure.
Joe Avila has a keen knowledge
of concrete leveling and sub floor systems. In modern high-rise buildings, where sound attenuation has become a necessity,
this expertise is essential to the success of the flooring installation. If the concrete slab isn't leveled to a maximum deviation
not exceeding 1/8 inch in any 10-foot radius, the floor may fail. As to the sub floor, creating an effective sound-deadening
system requires know-how in combining the most appropriate materials and methods.
Joe Avila Consulting offers a solution
to potential problems, including:
- Over forty years of technical expertise in the analysis and structural design
of entire flooring systems, from concrete slabs to finishing.
- A wide range of experience in consulting for new projects
as well as troubleshooting flooring problems and failures.
- Expertise in the supply chain of hardwoods, from forest
sources to wholesaler to distributor to mill.
- The skill, knowledge, creativity and track record to advise on all aspects
of flooring construction and installation.
- The experience to provide practical solutions for all wood flooring issues
Joe Avila is a time-tested expert in all aspects of hardwood flooring and has consulted on major
building projects in New York City.
Joe Avila is the founder and president of Huggins Flooring Consultants, Inc. and
The Huggins Wood Floor Specilist Company, Inc., established in New York City over 18 years ago.
Mr. Avila is an acknowledged
expert in all aspects of hardwood flooring, both commercial and residential, including:
- Specifying hardwood flooring
systems from sub floor to finishing
- Wood types and species, domestic and imported
- Sourcing the wood supply
chain from forest to mill to job site
- Performance characteristics of all wood types, including seasonal variations
and moisture content
- Wood product evaluation for both solid and engineered wood
- Sound installation practices
focusing on problem avoidance
- Post installation troubleshooting, particularly in assessing and solving performance
problems in all types of wood flooring systems.